The Negative Man is an enemy in Mother 3, encountered exclusively in a cave in Argilla Pass. He is a yellow, rectangular creature that is always depressed, and does not move from his spot in the cave.
Negative Man, true to his moniker, spends the majority of his turns making nihilistic statements. On the rare occasions he does attack, he will only do 1 damage. Among his quotes are:
- "Life is but a moment, a meaningless grain of sand..." (A line from the lyrics of the Flying Man's theme)
- "I'm nothing but a worthless protoplasm..."
- ”It’s always the same...”
- ”Just get rid of me now...”
- ”There’s just no way I can win...”
His theme is Strong One, a deliberate contrast to his status as one of the weakest enemies in the game.
In spite of his weak offense, his hp is really high, so he cannot be considered the weakest enemy in the game.
An easy way of defeating him is to make everyone in your party do basic attacks while letting Duster use the Tickle Stick, one of the Thief Tools, repeatedly until everybody can deal at least 100 damage.
His battle sound is Battle Sound 2 which falls under Code Numbers 442 for regular attack, 443 for Smaaaash! and 444 for Miss.
- Curiously, his battle sound is 2, which falls under code Numbers 442, 443 and 444. the number 4 in Japanese Culture is associated with bad luck, and its pronunciation is "Shi", which means "Death".